Trailblazers: Black Indigenous People of Color (BIPOC) Outdoor Program
$65.00 – $165.00
Welcome to Women’s Wilderness and thank you for your interest in our Trailblazers program! Trailblazers grew out of a desire to increase the presence of BIWOC (Black Indigenous People of Color, identifying as women or non-binary) in the outdoors while also providing training to support positive, safe, and successful hiking, backpacking, and camping experiences in outdoor environments. Through completion of Trailblazers, participants will:
- Develop greater comfort and confidence in the outdoors
- Gain competence in the outdoors through supported and facilitated outdoor activities and specific skill-building classes
- Practice taking on leadership roles within each program to apply to future scenarios
- Create a cohort of other developing outdoors-women, from which to share experience throughout the program and beyond
- Have access to post-program mentorship for people wanting to pursue employment within the outdoor industry
There are no prerequisites for applying to Trailblazers, outside of being physically, mentally, and emotionally prepared, and having a strong desire to participate in the program. Physical health will be assessed by the regular Women’s Wilderness application process.
Trailblazers follows an eight session progression. Applicants need to be able to commit to at least 6 of 8 sessions for admission. Please see full descriptions and locations of all sessions here. This series is subsidized thanks to generous sponsorship from Outdoor Research and FERAL Mountain Co. We have a sliding scale fee; please choose a level that represents what you are able to pay. If you need additional financial assistance, please contact us at email@example.com. Additionally, all gear and clothing needed for the course is available for rent at no cost from Women’s Wilderness.
- Session 1: [ Sunday, June 30 – 9am-3pm ] Welcome, Orientation & Day Hike
- Session 2: [ Sunday, July 7th – half day ]- How and why do I start? Where do I go? What do I bring?
- Session 3: [ Thursday, July 18th – 6-8pm ]- Hiking & backpacking basics – routes and navigation, Leave No Trace, trail etiquette, water purification
- Session 4: [ Sunday, July 28th – full day ]- Risk Management and First Aid
- Session 5: [ Thursday, August 15th – 6-8pm ] – Practicing in remote environments and overnight trip planning
- Session 6: [ Sunday, August 25th – full day ] – Trip planning, pack packing and fitting
- Session 7: [ Thursday, September 5th – 6-9pm ] – Prep and course packing for overnight.
- Session 8: [ Friday, September 6th (evening) – Sunday, September 8th – (evening) ] – Gone backpacking – overnight camping trip
Each Trailblazers session will be led by two Women’s Wilderness instructors, as well as occasional guest instructors. Guided by an advisory council of stakeholders from Women’s Wilderness, Brown Girls Climb, Black Women’s Alliance, and Native Women’s Wilderness, curriculum and programming may shift to better reflect the needs and desires of the selected group.
Cost: This program is subsidized by our sponsors. The sliding scale for the entire series is 3 tiers: $65 / $110/ $165. Please choose the level you are able to afford. If the fee is prohibitive, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org; we are committed to working with all participants in making this program accessible. We have capacity to support 10 participants.
In Partnership With: